Sunday, March 16, 2008

From Mother, with Guilt


So last Sunday at about 3pm the lower right quadrant of my stomach area started hurting. Hurting enough that I laid in the fetal position for the remainder of the day and a continued so for a good portion of Monday. Fun. By the time Tuesday rolled around, I was feeling better but still somewhat discomforted by the pain. At that point, I made the mistake of telling my mom I was sick with what my roommate, a lady friend of mine and a few others with limited to no medical experience diagnosed as appendicitis. That was a mistake.

I tried with no success to tell her that I did not believe that I had appendicitis. I figured that if I had had appendicitis my symptoms would have probably been much worse than what they were and at that point I was going to wait it out. MISTAKE. Shortly after explaining that I wasn't going to go to the doctor, she hung up on me. Thanks, mom. Soon after that, I get a call from my sister (telling me to go to the Dr), and two of my brother in laws inquiring as to my health.

On Wednesday I still haven't made a Dr. appointment and my mom calls to tell me, "you can go and have your appendix out and spend one day in the hospital. Or you can wait for it to burst and spend 30 days in the hospital." Scare tactics...

Then on Thursday, I get this email, "On another note: I am preparing a bed for you because I see in my crystal ball that you will be returning VERY SOON.....for home nursing by mother to recover from a burst appendix. It will take 6 months to one year and after you recover (if) you will be assigned to a family ward. I JUST CAN'T come to San Diego and be away from my cat and my personal computer. So just bear that in mind while you're postponing your Dr. visit. Love and kisses from your concerned mother." I am speechless.

I bet you're all dying to know how this turned out. I'll tell you. It turned out exactly how I thought it would turn out. I went to the lousy Dr. on Friday only to be told that I don't have appendicitis but they don't know exactly what is causing the pain in the lower right quadrant. I had to pay $250 (high deductible insurance) for that one. Awesome. Thanks, mom. I love you too.

7 comments:

Maudie Jane said...

Harsh payment, see if you mom will pay for it after all the harasment. Glad you are okay.

Unknown said...

You better hurry up and get in the family ward so that you will have people to take care of you. Is the picture some sort of digital version of you? Because I noticed that it does not have a set either.

Rob said...

Martin,

I'm glad that you noticed the same thing I did about Court's blue digital self. I can attest, having lived with Court for several years, and having him walk naked into my room at least once a day, he did, at one time have a set (about 5 years ago). Now? I can neither confirm nor deny. But from this picture, it sure looks like something is missing.
rob

Unknown said...

I think it is your galbladder. I will call Jan and let her know what I think the problem is!

Rob said...

Funhater:

Do you think maybe you are pregnant? My knocked up wife has random pains in her abdomen. You never know, so when you're at the doctor again, you should get it checked out.

Sierra said...

Maybe that is Court. You do sort of stand like that sometimes.

dr awkward said...

I shared a room with court from 2006-2007, and he did have a set at that time. I don't know if moving to LaJolla requires surrendering them. Talk to us Court.