Sunday, February 3, 2008

SUPER BOWL = SUPER HATE

The Super (lame) Bowl started today around 3:30pm. Church didn't get out until 4pm. I was invited to a get together at a friends house and thought it would be perfect--I'd get home from church, change clothes and then head over to Rob's to eat some food and catch the last half of the sporting event, which I didn't really care all that much about anyway but whatever. All was going to plan and with about 20 mins of game left on the clock, my roommate tells me of another party happening down the street with a crowd a little more single friendly. Anyway, I say goodbye to Robert and all his married friends and leave with the score showing the Patriots 7 and the Giants 3.

We walk in to the next house, extend a cordial greeting and as I sit down to look at the score I notice that it's Patriots 0 and the Giants 0. I'm bit confused for a second and then that's when it hits me--I've just walked into a Super Bowl party that's been Tivoed--and we're watching it from basically the beginning. Somebody shoot me now.

Trying not to be too big a fun hater, I bite my tongue and next thing I know I'm asleep, which is good. I wake up and walk outside and call several people in an attempt to kill some time only to return with 4 minutes still remaining. Can this game end already...

Finally at around 9pm the Tivoed game is over. For someone who doesn't give a rip about the Super Bowl, I endured about 5 1/2 quarters of it today for a grand total of around 4.5 hours--about 4 hours more than I planned. Great. Hours of my life I have lost forever.

2 comments:

Rob said...

That is a damn roast indeed. Maybe you should have stayed with a guy and his non-single friends? We would have had you home and tucked in before your bedtime, young Courtland. Your presence was missed during the second half, but we do appreciate you gracing us with your presence, if only for a little while. You love sports so much, when will you admit it?

Jessie said...

I feel your pain Court!