Monday, November 12, 2007

Snoop Doggy Dog needs to get a jobby job

So Narwhal Co. has taken significantly longer to get going that I ever anticipated. It's not Nov. 12. I was hoping to have this up and going by the end of Summer. Oh well.

Anyway, it should be official on Wednesday. Fingers are crossed.

But due to some unexpected expenses (I got lousy ticket for not wearing my seat belt, which is sure to set me back several hundred dollars. I also purchased some items at American Apparel to try out with the shirt designs I'll be selling on the site and figured I'd return them after doing some color/style coordinating. Nope. I guess I didn't read the fine print that said, "no refunds. Exchange or store credit only.") I went out and got a temp job today. All right!

As of Wednesday (and only until next Tuesday), I 'd like all of you to refer to me by my official title of Material Handler. That's right. I will be a material handler for the upcoming week. I can hardly contain the excitement.

Here's the job description: Remstart is looking for an eager, fast paced team player for this assignment. Shipping and warehouse experience, have a sense of urgency, enthusiastic and motivated. They (me) will be staging the project for the techs to assemble. The position requires steel toe shoes. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. EXPERIENCE WITH POWER TOOLS A PLUS!

My life just got so much worse.

When I was at the temp agency the woman there asked me what my strengths were. I said, "strong interpersonal skill, great communication/connector, speak Spanish, low maitenance/high yield...blah, blah, blah."

She first said, "I have the perfect job for you. Working for Verizon being a greeter at one of their kiosks in the mall. They need someone who speaks Spanish and it's only a two week job."

I'd rather go to the gun store and prepare to exit this world than take that job. I had to politely decline stating I couldn't work weekends. But the real reason is that I would probably kill myself if I had to do that even one hour, much less two weeks. So much for strong interpersonal skills--at least at the Verizon store.

5 comments:

Rob said...

Courtney, I am glad to see that you are putting the skills that you learned while at Insta-Chain to good use. Little did you know that when you were assembling chain wheels would it come back and serve you later in life. Looking forward to the site being live.

Welcome to the web, hopefully you'll update more than me. I started a blog 19 months ago and posted twice. But you are in the midst of inspiring me to start again.

Fun Hater said...

Robust, Yes, who knew Insta-Chain would come back to help me 13 years later. I totally forgot that I basically owned "staging" and the use of "power tools". Thanks for reminding me.

I highly recommend you re-visit your blog. Two posts in 19 months. That's reprehensible, Robert.

Jayne said...

Blanket Monster
What is wrong with Verizon? I like Verizon...

Fun Hater said...

Jayne, I miss blanket monster. I wish I could go back in time.

Nothing wrong with Verizon. I'm a customer myself. But I have a little dignity left (not much though).

Jayne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.